CTL Innovation Fellowship
3 years…2 fellows…one life sciences, one physical sciences
A full-time term 1-3 year appointment within the Center for Technology Licensing at Cornell University (CTL) for postdocs or recently graduated PhDs who are interested in technology transfer, entrepreneurship, intellectual property and innovation management. Please note the position is considered an academic position, so international students and postdocs are also eligible to apply.
If you are interested and have a background in the life sciences, please contact Phillip Owh (firstname.lastname@example.org); if your background is in the physical sciences or engineering disciplines, please contact Martin Teschl (email@example.com) for an informal conversation about the possibilities.
Currently CTL seeks additional physical sciences applicants. Apply by December 1.
Supported by the Center for Technology Licensing (CTL)
The Center for Technology Licensing (CTL) is Cornell University’s technology transfer office and manages Cornell technologies from Cornell’s Ithaca campus, Weill Cornell Medicine, Cornell Tech and Cornell AgriTech.
CTL’s mission is to catalyze technology commercialization to (i) develop products and services from Cornell innovations for societal benefit, (ii) promote new technology ventures to foster economic development within New York State and across the nation, and (iii) increase industry engagement by leveraging Cornell research.
Innovation Fellows Program Details:
CTL is proud to launch its new Innovation Fellows program that will provide post-doctoral fellows and/or recent PhD graduates the opportunity to work full-time for a period of up to three years at CTL. The position will be based at Cornell’s main campus in Ithaca, NY – to join the Engineering/Physical Sciences Team.
Under the tutelage of Business Development and Licensing professionals, Fellows will report to the Associate Director of their respective team and support the following functions:
- Outreach to Cornell researchers (faculty, staff and students) and scout potential technologies for commercialization, startup and partnerships by devoting significant time to meeting with researchers and participating in on campus seminars and events.
- Work with the team in assessing market potential of technologies by conducting market research and surveys of emerging technologies including market size, competition, barriers to entry, and trends. Perform marketing campaigns for selected cases and coordinate efforts in across different fields and disciplines.
- Prepare innovation roadmap to support IP protection, marketing and prioritization of different portfolios. Help move the technology to commercialization or facilitate startup formation with increasingly better understanding of the commercialization path.
- Support team for business development and business contracts – After gaining sufficient knowledge, engage in the negotiation and drafting of agreements for selected cases.
- Support forming business plan strategy for selected portfolios and help build network and ecosystem for startup formation and growth.
At the end of the term, successful Innovation Fellows will have gained significant experience to embark on a career in the directions of technology licensing, startups, business development, and/or IP protection.
Successful candidates will have exceptional team working ability, communication skills, be service-minded, with proven interest in innovation commercialization, entrepreneurship and/or a career in technology transfer.
- PhD in a STEM discipline, preferably in the physical sciences
- Excellent communication skills – listening, presenting, and writing – with different stakeholders from diverse background
- Service-minded, detail-oriented individual who thrives in a demanding and collaborative environment that encourages critical, strategic thinking with proven ability to also work and learn independently
How to Apply:
Submit applications by email to: Camila Fuhr Diel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “Innovation Fellow” in the subject heading, and put the CV, statement of interest, and letters of recommendation in a single PDF file. All materials should be received by December 1, 2020. Later applications will be accepted until the position(s) are filled.