The Graduate School has led the way in data transparency of doctoral career outcomes in a public dashboard where you can click on your discipline or field of study to see the statistical breakdown of where Ph.D.s are employed. We encourage you to use it to identify employers in industry, government, and non-profits that you might be interested in learning more about.
There are many more national repositories of career outcomes for Ph.D.s:
- The American Historical Association curates data on the career outcomes of history Ph.D.s.
- The Modern Language Association compiles data on the career paths of modern language Ph.D.s.
- The American Mathematical Society has data on the profession.
- The NSF (National Science Foundation) surveys scientists and engineers and compiles NSF survey statistics and reports.
- See the data from Coalition for Next Generation Life Science.
- See employment trends in the biomedical workforce.
Council of Graduate Schools
- Links on rethinking humanities Ph.D. resources
- Professional Development: Shaping Effective Programs for STEM Graduate Students Council of Graduate Schools report
- Understanding Career Pathways (includes links to other resources on tracking career pathways of Ph.D.s)
- Promising Practices in Humanities Ph.D. professional development