Summer 2024 UDSA Internship Program
Applications are open for the Summer 2024 USDA-ARS AI-COE/SCINet Graduate Student Internship Program administered by the AI Institute for Next Generation Food Systems and the USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS). Apply by 11:59 pm Pacific on February 5, 2024 for consideration (link to application below). Through this program, graduate students with strong, applied skills in data science, computer science, and related fields will join and contribute their skills to ARS research teams working on data-intensive research problems. Please pass this along to any graduate students who may be interested in applying!
- Paid, hands-on, real-world research opportunities, scientific domain expertise, and mentoring from ARS scientists.
- Learn about agricultural research as a rewarding career path for data and computer scientists
- 10-week internship, 40 hrs/wk
- $12,800 stipend plus travel allowance for a 2-week visit to the host/mentor site during internship (stipends are paid by UC Davis; interns are not USDA-ARS employees)
- Internship is primarily remote, but the intern does need to remain in the US or its territories for the duration of the internship.
- Interns will give a 10-minute presentation on their internship work during a virtual symposium in the fall
Who should apply
- Graduate students enrolled in a master’s or Ph.D. program at an accredited U.S. university
- Preferred areas of study: computer science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science, statistics
- Interest in applying skills to agricultural research, but no agricultural background necessary
Research project placement opportunities
There are dozens of internship opportunities at USDA-ARS locations around the country. Interns accepted into the program will choose their top projects and will be placed according to their priorities and the needs of the program. Topics include crop improvement, genomics, animal health, genetics, plant reding, landscape ecology, insect pest forecasting, remote sensing, nutrient management, soil science, root phenotyping, precision agriculture, nutrition, aquaculture, lipidomics, food science, and hydrologic modeling.
Applications close at 11:59pm Pacific on February 5, 2024
February 23: notification of award
February 26: Selected interns will be sent an interest-ranking form and descriptions of internship opportunities
Early March: All students and mentors will be notified of pairings
10-week internship starting May/June 2023 (flexible start date depending on student schedule)
- Personal statement (2,500 words or fewer)
- Current resume or CV
- List of relevant coursework or unofficial transcripts
- Letter of reference from an advisor, mentor, or supervisor- emailed to email@example.com before 5:00 pm on February 9, 2024