Weill Cornell Medicine BioVenture eLab Practicum
Do you have a desire to learn about inventions that will change the future of healthcare? Are you considering working in a small company or startup, the life science industry, or program/project management? Do you want to rub shoulders with academic and industry entrepreneurs, inventors, and investors? If so, consider applying for this BioVenture eLab paid, flexible internship. You do not need startup or business development experience in healthcare, but you should have an interest in the intersection of entrepreneurship and science/engineering.
About BioVenture Lab
The BioVenture eLab offers training, educational resources, mentoring and expertise in various aspects of entrepreneurship. Primarily serving Weill Cornell Medicine faculty, researchers and students, the BioVenture eLab also conducts outreach to the larger Cornell community as well as Upper East Side and NYC life science ecosystems.
The Practicant will support a team of two full-time professionals in managing various programs and resources available to these communities.
- Work closely with the BioVenture eLab team and Entrepreneurs-in-Residence in developing training materials and services that support WCM founders and portfolio companies. A main focus is to assist in organizing our annual InvestConnect and Startup Symposium.
- Update and augment resources related to entrepreneurship, company incubation/formation, business plan preparation, and other materials used by faculty, researchers and students seeking to commercialize their inventions.
- Assist in growing and maintaining a comprehensive network of WCM inventors, pharma/biotech industry contacts, and early-stage investors using an online contact management system.
- Participate in organizing community events with Upper East Side medical institutions and the NYC life sciences ecosystem; potentially represent BioVenture eLab at relevant industry meetings/events.
- Support eLab’s marketing efforts to the WCM and Tri-Institutional communities through existing monthly updates and other communications tools. Compile and consolidate attendance metrics for programs and events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Additional Work Details
This would be a part-time, paid position and the commitment would be ~5hrs per week (max 10hrs/week)*. Pay is $20/hr for Ithaca-based Practicants, $22/h for those in NYC. This work can be completed remotely, but it would be great if the Practicant has a reason to be in NYC occasionally and can work directly with BioVenture eLab staff at times over the course of the 9-month program.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
As part of WCM, BioVenture eLab works to create a collaborative working and learning environment in which individual characteristics are respected and differences are valued as much as similarities.
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, biomedical sciences or other relevant field. Current student in a Cornell-affiliated graduate program.
Excellent knowledge of computer applications, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite. Familiarity or ability to quickly learn Airtable and other CRM systems such as SalesForce.
Skill and Abilities
Organized and able to manage multiple priorities.
Demonstrated ability to work independently and commitment to complete projects on time.
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Social media skills a plus.
This BioVenture eLab Practicum is part of the larger CTL Practicum initiative at Cornell University. It is a paid internship program with the goal to challenge Cornell’s students while gaining valuable experience to help broaden their career options and gaining satisfaction in knowing that their contributions meaningfully helped Cornell fulfill its mission to commercialize its innovations and grow industry alliances.
Past Practicants have successfully leveraged their experience into promising and successful careers in, among other areas, technology licensing, patent law, startups and business development. Learn more here.
To apply to the BioVenture eLab practicum
Send an email with subject line “PRACTICUM” along with your resume and cover letter to:
Copy Susi Varvayanis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to check your visa and funding source constraints to be within employment limits for your situation prior to applying.