Overcoming “Alternative Facts” Advocating for Truth in Science, Society, and Your Startup
March 18, 2020 @ 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
- This event has passed.
Although the term is rooted in politics, “alternative facts” have moved beyond the political arena to weaken and warp decision-making across the economy. Whether spreading misinformation about vaccine safety or leading to false assumptions about women-led startups, alternative facts trigger unconscious action when cognitive reflection would be more productive. But believers of alternative facts aren’t necessarily lost causes — many people can still be persuaded by actual facts.
Brought to you by eCornell
Our guest is former U.S. Senate and House of Representatives Chief of Staff Mark Bayer, who has led working groups like Cornell’s Advancing Science And Policy (ASAP) student organization and has spoken before with Careers Beyond Academia at Cornell.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
– Explore the roots of alternative facts
– Discuss how to recognize the presence of fake news and other types of misinformation
– Learn effective strategies to combat alternative facts
– Hear strategies for bringing people to the truth from a self-professed “persuasion nerd”
– Understand how to distinguish between the lost causes and those who can still be persuaded by the truth